It will never be possible to know how many lives have been ruined by alcohol abuse over the centuries, but today there’s help available. Alcohol Treatment Programs in Tacoma WA offer personalized treatment and care to those who have determined to improve their lives. They believe that learned behaviors can be adjusted and modified. Experienced therapists uses tested behavior modification techniques to improve the lives of those with addictions and other issues.
Behavior Modification Therapy
Behavior modification is not a new idea. It was first introduced in 1911 by a psychologist named Edward Thorndike in “Laws of Acquired Behavior or Learning.” Since then, behavior modification has been studied intensively and has been effectively used to treat a variety of conditions including addictions, anger management, ADHD, anorexia nervosa and phobias.
The Principles of Effective Treatment
* Addiction affects the brain’s structure and function, affecting behavior. This disease is complex but treatable.
* Everyone is unique, so the type of treatment and services must be matched to the individual’s particular issues. This is critical in order for the individual to regain a productive live with their family, society and the workplace.
* The treatment must be readily available. Since those addicted to drugs or alcohol may not be committed to entering a treatment program, services must be available when the person is ready. Treatment early in the addiction has the greatest chance of success.
* An effective treatment addresses much more than just the addiction. It must also consider medical, social, vocational, psychological and legal problems.
* While the appropriate duration of treatment is dependent upon the patient’s needs and problems, remaining long enough in treatment is critical.
Individual, family and group counseling are commonly used.
* Medications are appropriate for many individuals.
* The treatment and services plan must be assessed and modified as needs change.
* Other mental disorders must also be addressed.
* It’s not necessary for treatment to be voluntary in order to be effective.
Alternative and Action Counseling offers a number of compassionate and warm treatment programs for those who seek to improve their lives. They treat those with alcohol or drug problems, anger management issues, domestic violence and much more. Since Alternative and Action Counseling is a State Certified Chemical Dependency Agency, they are able to also treat those who must complete court-ordered Alcohol Treatment Programs in Tacoma WA.