If you’ve recently started researching the local senior care apartments in Somerset, NJ, you might be experiencing some anxiety and trepidation with regards to making an informed decision for your beloved elder.
However, it’s important to note that you’re not alone; more than 90% of Americans above the age of 65 avoid discussing this type of late-life shift, even though 70% of retirees will eventually have to make the move due to deteriorating health, mobility issues, or budgetary problems.
Thus, if you’d like to engage in a constructive dialogue with your aging parent or grandparent and begin planning for the future, it’s in your best interests to learn more about the most popular housing options available in today’s day and age.
This brief article will help you do just that.
Also referred to as senior care apartments, independent living facilities come equipped with a myriad of provisions and features to account for a largely autonomous lifestyle:
* Individual apartment-style accommodations for each resident
* Operational kitchens and restroom facilities
* Built-in handrails, ramps, and mobility supports to encourage self-directed navigation
* Qualified on-site staff to provide general assistance with housekeeping, maintenance, meal prep, and socialization
If you’re trying to establish a plan for a senior who happens to be struggling with Alzheimer’s, dementia, or another memory-based disorder, you’ll have to turn your attention towards the local memory care facilities. These environments are a bit more elaborately designed:
* Augmented safety and security measures to deter off-site wandering
* Color-coded corridors and walkways to promote stress-free navigation
* Sensory-based programs to encourage healthy socialization and provide therapeutic stimulation
* Robust on-site staff replete with nurses, doctors, emergency responders, and other medical professionals
Depending on the senior’s specific health needs, lifestyle preferences, and locational inclinations, you might have to take a look at some of the alternative senior care apartments:
* Age-restricted communities
* Nursing homes
* Assisted living
* Continuous-care retirement centers
But if you find yourself struggling to ascertain the ideal living situation, you should partner with a reputable team of late-life consultants such as Oasis Senior Advisors – Somerset, for instance. They’ll be able to provide a free-of-charge placement service for you and your family, which will help you pick the perfect accommodation and facilitate the entire process from start to finish. You can follow them on Google+ for more information.