One of the early signs of spring in Massachusetts is construction jobs breaking ground as soon as the snow is gone. Both experienced workers and newbies will be hard at work in one of the most dangerous of all occupations. Another sign of spring is serious accidents at those job sites. Some injured workers will need to seek legal assistance from a Construction Accident Lawyer in Melrose MA.
Construction accidents typically fall into four general categories.
Construction workers are injured and killed in falls more frequently than workers in most other industries. They climb ladders and work from scaffolding and roofs. It’s essential that strict safety regulations be followed. When workers are being rushed because of too-tight deadlines, accidents happen.
These conditions are particularly dangerous:
1. Poorly constructed scaffolding
2. Unprotected sides
3. Portable ladders not be used correctly
Being Hit by a Vehicle or Falling Object
1. Every year, workers are struck by cranes and trucks. It only takes a momentary distraction to send someone else to the ER.
2. When people are working above them, workers must be alert for falling objects.
3. Another potential source of injuries is improperly constructed walls that suddenly collapse.
People are so accustomed to dealing with electricity it’s easy to forget how dangerous it can be. OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) states that only workers wearing adequate protection should work in the vicinity of an electrical power circuit. Electricity on the job site poses many hazards.
1. Improper use of extension cords is a major safety issue. Sometimes a nest of cords can be seen, an open invitation to people tripping and falling. If there is water on the ground, extension cords can be deadly.
2. Power lines pose a special hazard. There can be both buried and above-ground power lines near a construction site. All must be carefully identified.
3. Improper use of equipment can pose the danger of electrical shock.
Trenching and Evacuation
Cave-ins aren’t the only cause of accidents when digging. Other hazards include:
1. Asphyxiation from lack of oxygen in a closed space
3. Toxic fumes
When unsafe working conditions cause you to be injured at work, call the Law Offices of Burton J. Hass. This experienced Construction Accident Lawyer in Melrose MA will fight to defend your rights and get the compensation you deserve. He was voted one of the top 100 trial lawyers in Massachusetts.
You can also visit them on Facebook.
Be the first to like.