Because all of the body’s weight falls on the feet and ankles, it is important to keep them healthy. Standing or walking on feet or ankles that have medical issues can be very painful. Medical issues in this area can become debilitating if they are not treated by medical professionals. There are many different conditions and injuries that require the services of a medical professional specializing in the care of feet and ankles called a podiatrist.
Clinics such as the Great Lakes Foot & Ankle Centers have foot and ankle specialists in Racine WI to help people in that area. When a person is in pain, they want the best treatment options to relieve pain and resolve the health issue. Going to a clinic specializing in the type of problem one is suffering from is a good option. Many times, a person will go to their primary care doctor who will refer them to an appropriate specialist. These clinics can help patients receive insurance coverage for their medical treatments. The podiatrists at the clinic will perform checkups, carry out treatments, or perform necessary surgeries as needed for different foot and ankle problems and conditions.
Some conditions podiatrists treat include:
- Ankle sprains, instability, or arthritic pain are common. Ankle sprains are an injury caused by unnatural twisting or force on the foot and ankle bones, causing damage to ligaments on the outside of the ankle. This causes a lot of pain and swelling.
- Flat feet are natural in infants, but in childhood, an arch should develop. When it does not, adults with flat feet can suffer a lot of pain. Adults can also have fallen arches and plantar fasciitis which, like flat, feet are painful. The arch must get some form of support or treatment to stop the pain.
- Diabetic feet have decreased blood flow and slow healing of injuries. A small blister can develop into a big problem.
- Athlete’s foot is a chronic infection brought about by a fungus. This condition causes itching, burning, and pain that needs medical attention.
- Corns, heel spurs, ingrown toenails, calluses, and bunions are all conditions that cause discomfort in the foot and can be successfully treated.
- Crush injuries, cuts, and broken bones can be especially painful in the feet and ankles
For any type of foot or ankle injury or condition, the Ankle Specialists in Racine WI can provide treatment. For more information, go to the website.